Cooking Thyme With Tristan: Grand Pappy Tappy’s Gumbo
A number of years ago I hurt my hip in a rehearsal of RENT and a friend of mine coined the phrase Grand Pappy Tappy and it’s been dark for years but now… the name has risen! It seemed apt for this particular dish!
Here’s with you will need:
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 Andouille sausage
- 1 can corn
- 4 tbsp Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups of brown long grain rice
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups vegetable juice
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- A liberal amount of salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle on Cajun seasoning to taste
Here’s what you will need to do:
- Cut the chicken and season with 1 tbsp of Cajun seasoning
- Cut the sausage into coins and season with 1tbsp of Cajun seasoning
- Cook the rice
- Combine the chicken with sausage and combine the rest of the ingredients – adding whatever you’d like to increase the intensity! I recommend red pepper flakes!
- Let simmer and let those ingredient marry each other, baby!
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Honestly, it’s now one of my favorite things…
I will keep you posted on what I learn when I make round 2!
Note: it’s even better the next day!
Until next time…